Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Tuesday in the Trenches

Today I sang my song for Song Class. I'm working on "(Not) Getting Married Today" from Company. It's a beast of a song and I have been trying to memorize the words for 2 weeks. Along with two long-ass scenes and two sonnets. The song tutor (they call them tutors instead of professors here), Dominique, is really great with us and is able to pinpoint our problem areas and work with them. He and I worked with me breaking down each of the beats even more and showing the emotions more fully in my face. It was intense and I was mentally exhausted. I'm pretty sure you can't work on that song for more than 20 minutes before going insane. This is a proven fact.


Then Contextual Studies where we talked about the Renaissance period in history. It's really hard to squash 400 years of enlightenment into an hour lecture, but David is amazing and did it. It's such a joy to listen to him. I am constantly amazed by his wealth of knowledge and ability to engage us.


Acting Workshop was next and we finished reading Women Beware Women by Thomas Middleton. It's the play we're working on for our final workshop and are still in the initial reading of it. The play is really good and has some amazing, layered female characters. We are being cast as play for all our projects. That means we don't audition, the tutors just tell us which part we'll work on. It's interesting to hear the conversations everyone has speculating who will play which part. I'm interested in what I'll get to work on, who wouldn't be? But I also trust our tutors and know that they won't give us anything we can't handle or don't need. I'm here to learn and will willingly take anything I'm giving.


It was a great day at school and I am exhausted. Got to have some fish 'n chips at a quiet pub in Birmingham, which was really good. And a Guinness. Because you can't go to the theater without a Guinness.

1 comment:

David Nestor said...

Fish and chips?! I thought you were going vegetarian!