Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Running crazy

I’ve been sidelined from running for almost two weeks now. Last Monday I woke up unable to move without pain. My left hip locked up and every step was a challenge. I suffered through the day, thinking I just slept wrong and it would be fine. But I set up a massage appointment with my friend Heather because the pain was unbearable. Tuesday was the same thing; sitting hurt, driving hurt, walking hurt, standing hurt. I met with Heather and she kicked my hips’ ass. I was almost crying, but I knew the pain was a good pain and we were working out the adhesions and pain but OH MY GOSH! Ow. I iced my hips that night, wore flat shoes for days and slowly started to feel better. I wanted to start working out but the thought was exhausting and every time I went to get dressed for the gym my hips would ache and sitting was such a better plan.

Well it’s been 10 days and I’m ready to get back out there on the work out horse. I don’t want to lose the momentum of Greece and the training for that. I have New Orleans to run in Feb and LA coming up in March. I have to get back out there. But more than just future runs, I need to get back out on the pavement because I’m going stir crazy. Everything feels a little less fulfilling. I need the release of a good run. I need the feeling of being present and alert and focused on one task. I need the repetition of one foot in front of the other. I miss it. I miss being active. This sitting and being injured is for the birds.

So tonight I have rehearsal for a dance show and that will get me up and moving again. The goal is that will propel me back to the gym and back to the world of the active living. I need to sweat. I need to push my body and work.

And I need to lose 10lbs. But that’s for another post.

No comments: