Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Have a Little Faith



Die hard sports fans are infallible. They love their team. They root for their team no matter what odds are against them. Their dedication struck a new chord in me a few days ago when I thought about the signs they hold up once their team has won. On the TV screen I watched the camera pan past the screaming, cheering fans and saw a few holding up congratulation signs. Signs pronouncing their team the victors. Signs that had to have been written before they came so they would be ready when the final whistle blew.


These fans came to the game expecting their team to win. They know there's a chance they won't. It is a sports game, after all, and those are less than predictable. But the pre-made signs show that these fans had faith that their team would win and the signs would be seen.


"Why can't I have that brand of faith in myself?" I wondered.


A few weeks ago my boyfriend asked if I have faith in anything. I told him I have faith that I'll wake up tomorrow, that I will have food to eat and people around me to love. I told him I have faith that the sun won't come falling out of the sky and I won't be eaten by a rabid dog. He asked if I have faith in myself.


And, as he is known to do, he took my breath away and gave me pause. Faith in myself? Well.....of course I do. Don't I?


The truth is - No, I don't. I believe in myself. I know that I can land in any city and find work, a place to live and make friends. I believe I can tackle any role and thrive. I believe I am a good person who does good work and tries her hardest. However, I do not have that "made before the game" faith.


Why haven't I ever made a 5 year plan? My excuse has been that the world of entertainment is too volatile and subjective for me to plan anything. I have to be ready for the unknown. The reality is, I haven't had faith in myself that I can be a success.


That's a hard pill to swallow. But I'm taking the challenge and now is the time to change. It is time to have faith in Amie Bjorklund.


I am a good actress. I know I am on this earth to act, to perform, to invest in myself and to be great. I know I am here for good things. I am here to love and to be loved.


During that conversation he asked me to have faith in "us". Told me to have faith in the good we are.


I do.


Now it's time to add faith in myself to the pile. It's time to make a five year plan that I stick to. It's time to write out my Oscar acceptance speech. It's time to write out what I'll say when I win my Tony. It's time to pick out the jewelry I'll wear to my red carpet premiere. It's time to decide what gift I'll give myself when I land that blockbuster movie role.


But first, it's time to make a sign, congratulating "Team Amie" on her victory.


I know she can do it.

1 comment:

Ann Thomas said...

and I have faith in you my love... you are the best! love you