Sunday, September 19, 2010

Things that made me happy 16 Sept 2010

- My morning run with Kiersten. It is so wonderful to wake up and run and have that time with her! We did stride work at the Burbank HS track and it was awesome to push us hard. She is such an awesome friend and is really pushing herself with this training. I know it’s not easy on her, but I admire how hard she’s working and I am so excited to cross that finish line with her in a month.
- Hulu.com and streaming Netflix on my iPhone- I would NOT be able to be at work for 9 hours if I didn’t have these two outlets into the entertainment world. I watched four episodes of Hoarders today. That show made me very ready to go home and start unpacking.
- I’m thankful to have a job to come to every day that pays me. It’s a safe place, pay is alright and the people like me. I need to start smiling here more.
- Leaving work to attend the MBA information meeting at Chapman. Was headed off by some awful traffic so I ended up going home and getting an early start on unpacking.
- Finding a parking spot close to my house. I know I can park on the driveway with the other cars, but it’s so hard to get in and out of there, I usually like to park on the street. Finding a spot so close was awesome!
- Got home and felt completely overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do so I decided to go get some groceries for dinner. I went for a walk to see which store was close. The sun was just setting and it was a gorgeous night. Perfect temperature for a walk. I looked around and smiled at the neighbors and thought how nice it would be to throw a block party and get everyone to know each other. I want to feel safe where I live and I know the only way to do that is to know the people around me.
- Walking through the True Value grocery store and seeing great deals on produce. It’s a primarily Latino market and the produce was cheaper than Ralph’s. Perfect for juicing! And it’s so close I can go twice a week if I need. I walked through the store trying to find something to eat that was ready-made. I don’t have pots or pans yet or a microwave so I had to buy something I could just make a meal out of. I’m also trying to eat as healthy as possible so that means no cheese, processed meats or preservatives. (So my stand-by meal of salami and cheese was gone.) Plus it is a Latino store so their deli section left a lot to be desired and I didn’t recognize a lot of what was on the shelves. A fun experiment for my future cooking adventures, but not so fun when all that’s needed is a quick meal. I went to the liquor section, thinking maybe I’d just have a beer and eat tomorrow. Nope- beer was more expensive than an entire chicken. So then I thought about wine, but realized I don’t have a wine opener. So champagne? Sure, except I knew I wouldn’t (or rather shouldn’t) finish an entire bottle in one night. So I went back to the grocery hunting.
- Leaving the grocery store with a box of Cheerios and a gallon of soy milk.
- Getting home and realizing that not only do I not have a bowl to eat the cereal out of, I also don’t have a spoon. So my first meal in my new place was a glassful of soymilk and dry cheerios.
- Working on my handbell songs without worrying about waking up anyone or disturbing anyone. I’m sure it sounded funny to the neighbors. But no less annoying that gospel at full volume at 8:30 on a Sunday morning.
- Unpacking two boxes of books and three bags of clothing, putting up my laundry basket and hanging up some clothes. It’s a slow process but I will soon have a finished apartment.
- Falling asleep early and getting a full 8 hours in before the alarm clock went off at 5:30 for the next day’s beginning.

Not the most eventful day in my life. But it was a good day, a safe day and a day filled with baby steps towards my future. That’s all we can ask from some days.

No comments: