Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Awesomeness of Being a Grad


Walking around campus today I had the coolest feeling. I’m cool. Now, I’m a cool person for any number of reasons. However, my fellow students don’t know that....yet. At school, I am cool simply because I’m a grad student. That's awesome. 

When I was an undergrad at CSUF I adored the grad students. I thought they were these amazingly talented people who were going to change the theater world and could show me how it’s done. I admired their skill level and their ability to take risks. They were like this mystical, foreign being in my school life.
As I walked through the Birmingham School of Acting today, taking in the classes and the surroundings, I noticed undergrads watching me and sizing me up. Knowing who I was, but not knowing exactly what I was going to do at that school. Knowing that I was a grad student and was going to change the theater world. And blow their undergrad minds.
One girl came up to me as I was sitting, waiting for the rest of my classmates to finish getting IDs. She blushed a little as she asked me if I was in the MA program. I told her I was, and asked her what she was studying. She giggled and said “Acting Fundamentals” then turned heel and walked quickly away.
I smiled to myself, remembering exactly how she felt. Dumbfounded and wordless in the presence of greatness.
Alright, so maybe I’m romanticizing things a little bit. But whatever! I’m in friggin’ grad school!!! To some people in this world, I’ve made it.
Now it’s time to go change the world!

As soon as I get a bank account......

No comments: