Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Google Experiment

Google has this great feature where it will autofill what it thinks you want it to. It is not done forcefully- more just a drop down menu where you can say “Yup, that’s what I want to ask” and it will search for you. Often I ignore this drop down because it’s not ever what I’m looking for. But this week I thought I’d use Google to my advantage and learn something.


Every day, or every hour when I was bored, I went to google.com and started typing whatever word I thought of. Sometimes I only typed in one or two letters. I wanted to see what google thought I wanted to search for. In the past week, I have learned many many things. Here are a couple of the more interesting.


I typed in: Sad wh

Google offered me: Sad when the great ship went down

I learned there is a camp song about when the Titanic sank. It’s an upbeat, folk song offsetting the sad topic.


I typed in: Some

Google offered me: Something Corporate

I found a boy band that hasn’t posted concert dates since 2007. I wonder what happened to them.


I typed in: Try

Google offered me: Try on hairstyles

I found a website where I can upload my picture and see which celebrity hairstyles would look good on my face. Now I only need the entourage of people to help me maintain the celebrity look throughout the day. And better lighting.


I typed in: Only

Google offered me: Only Heart Club

I learned there is an American Girl Doll knock off out there. It pushes the same pure morals (wholesome, age-appropriate image and positive message to girls) and has the same doll set up as far as being able to look just like you, get pets and decorate their room. At about a third of what the AG dolls cost, I can see why Target bought the brand to sell at their stores, but the dolls are scary looking. I’d rather save for the real thing. 


I am floored by the amount of information on the internet, useful and crap, and will continue doing this little experiment. I will no longer be lacking for cocktail party conversation.


I love the internet.

No comments: