Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Marathon Calendar for the Year

Every year around this time I start to get the itch to travel. And my hobby of running marathons helps satiate that. I am able to stay in shape, have a goal and travel to different parts of the country and the world. This year is no exception. Last year I went a little crazy. I had a goal to finish the Rock n Roll series because at the end of it there is an AWESOME medal. And I achieved it and I got the medal. I ran 4 full marathons and 3 halfs. I traveled to Nashville, San Diego, Seattle, Phoenix, Chicago, San Jose and Las Vegas. I stayed in neat hotels and met great people. I got to run some of them with friends and some of them just had people meet me at the finish line. Maybe I’ll devote a post per race…..that would be a good idea….gives me a chance to relive the fun!

This year I have two races signed up and three more in my head. I’m running Los Angeles on March 21st. I signed up for this race in September when I had nothing but 30 weeks ahead of me to train. I had just opened “Steel” and thought my life was slowing down a bit and I could actually train with the LA Road Runners. Well that didn’t happen. I think I have run with them a total of three times in the past four months. Steel Magnolias took up my time, and then caroling started and that rehearses on Saturday morning when the LARR train. Then I booked “Merrily” which also rehearses on Sat mornings. I was out of luck but kept pushing towards the LA Marathon goal. I get the weekly emails and the motivation and the kind words. The race is in less than a month and I am so excited.

I never wanted to run LA. The course used to go through downtown and in a loop and through not amazing parts of the city. My thought was always, “I drive this road every day, why would I want to run it? Especially since I run marathons to see the cities they are held in.” Well this year is the 25th anniversary and they changed the course. Now it goes from Dodger Stadium to Santa Monica pier. It runs through Rodeo drive and Brentwood and is going to be really pretty. Plus it’s neat to be part of something that is in my own city, kind of neat to be swept up in the fun of things.

So I’m doing LA. Then OC is May 2nd. I’m getting a group of people together to run/walk that one with me. It’s going to be awesome! That is only a half, though, so it’s done just for fun and to let people know they can do it.

May 15th is Idaho. If I am not doing a show, I am running that race. I will get to see my good friend Sarah, who lives about 40 miles from Boise, which means I also won’t have to get a hotel room or pay for anything. All I need to do is the plane ticket and the race fee. I’m so there! And I will be able to knock another state off my list.

Then I would like to find one for August. Maybe Oregon since the weather would be amazing. And I love the drive up there.

And then there is GREECE!!! I am so excited for this race. It’s the 2500 anniversary of the original running of the marathon. And it follows the actual course and finishes in the Olympic coliseum, where the Olympians finish. That’s insane! I have me deposit down for two people and I am so very ready to go. The only sad part is that I don’t have anyone to go with. And I want someone to go with me. But it’s hard to find someone who can take a week off work or school and pay the $3000 this trip is costing me. I don’t expect anyone to be jumping at the gate. Well, okay, yes I do. But I don’t have anyone. I’m not dating anyone. I’m not married. I’m not in a running team where there is another runner as excited about this as I am. My friends can’t afford it, or already have their big vacations planned. My family is in the middle of a million things and can’t go. So it looks like it’s just me.

I’m trying to stay positive and keep my smile on. I’m trying to look at the good and the fact that I am paying for this whole thing up front, no new debt, and I have this amazing opportunity to run this. It’s something I have been waiting for since last August. And it is going to be amazing.

I have a great year of running ahead of me. This is something I love so much and want more people to do. And I wish there was some way I could make money doing this. Someday I will find a way. Until then I will work hard to make money so I can spend it on the awesomeness that is running races.


No comments: