Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Marching Towards a Bikini Body

What you do makes a difference. And you have to decide what kind of a difference you’re going to make.- Jane Goodall

Anyone who knows me knows that I have big dreams. And I sometimes have a plan and I always need a timeline. It’s easier for me to start at the beginning of a calendar something….. the start of a month, start of a year, start of a decade. Yesterday was March 1st. There is my start.

I currently am overweight. I am easily 20lbs overweight. My BMI puts me into the overweight category. My measurements put me into the overweight category. I have been telling myself that it’s muscle weight and of course I’m going to be a little bigger. I’m training and I do weights. No no no. That lying to myself ends today. Putting it here and admitting it is one step. I can’t hide the facts by saying I carry it well. No- I am 20lbs overweight and it is time to take that off. Hard core here I come.

I am so proud of my body. I do not take it for granted. I am proud I have completed 16 marathons and will finish 17 in less than three weeks. I am thankful that I wake up every morning and can get out of bed without help. I am thankful for the fluid movement and the health of my body. I thank it every day. And I want to do more for it. I want to thank it by making it the best it can be. By taking off the extra strain I put on it and let it work more easily.

Our body is a machine, like a car. I fully believe that. Our body is the most amazing creation I have ever had the pleasure of learning about. Like a car, you have to put fuel into your body to make it run. Who wants to put crap in their car? No one. It amazes me that people take better care of their car than of themselves. Someone will take their car to the shop, the car wash and the detailer, spend $300 to make sure it’s working well and then hit the drive-thru for a burger and fries. Like our cars, our body will run fine for a little while if you put crap into it, but eventually the thing is going to break down. There will be little hints (an extra pound here, loosening one more belt notch, trouble walking up steps there) but they will be so small you won’t even notice it. What’s one donut? What’s the harm in dessert? Some fat is good for you- I read that somewhere, so pass the sour cream please.

That’s all well and good. I fully believe in enjoying life and the desserts that come with it. But we can’t be oblivious. It’s all “just one more bite” until you’re sitting in the doctor’s office complaining about numbness in your toes and you’re told you have diabetes. Or you’re lying flat on your back at the ED because you just had a heart attack. Or stomach pains become pancreatic cancer. Or you just die. We’re all going to die, that isn’t what I’m trying to avoid. I’m trying to make sure I feel this good when I’m 70. And the only way to do that is to take care of the body I have now.

One of my main resolutions for 2010 was no fast food of any kind. No drive-thru, no midnight burgers, no Taco Bell. I’ve been really good about that. But that isn’t to say I haven’t eaten poorly. Trust me, Cheetos and a Snickers bar have been my midnight snack on more than one occasion these past two months. That ends now. March began my no processed sugar, no dairy, no meat brigade. My goal is to return to my vegan ways. I know I can’t do it in one fell swoop. It took me a year to change my lifestyle when I became vegan in 2002. A slow steady change; taking into account the finances ($.50 organic yogurt instead of $1.20 soy yogurt), the busy schedule I keep, and start making the smart choices.

That’s really what it boils down to. Smart choices. Last night I had trail mix instead of cheese. An easy exchange- but I had to make the conscious choice. I had black beans and avocado instead of pizza. Today I had a wheat bagel with peanut butter and banana instead of cream cheese and jam. Small changes that are going to make the big changes.

I am going to get more sleep.

I am going to the gym 5 days a week, even if it’s just for 30 min. I have to.

My goal is to lose 7 lbs by April 1. My actual goal is to lose 10lbs, but I’ll be happy with 7. Baby steps is how I am going to be able to do this.

I am Marching Toward My Bikini Body. That is this months slogan. I am excited to see where my body goes. I’m excited to watch the weight come off. I’m excited to push myself and make this happen. I’m excited to wear my cute clothes again. I am excited for this month.

March on!


No comments: