Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2011. One of my goals is to write more on my blog. I would like for it to be a place for people to go for advice, questions, laughter and motivation. If I can change someone’s day through this, then I’ll consider my time here worth it.

Every year I create two lists: a set of resolutions and a set of goals. I know there is a difference between the two. Resolutions are something I will do no matter what. They are the year-long, “say to myself every day”, life changes that are also slightly challenging. I like to challenge myself. For 2010 I had four:

Go to the gym 5 times a week

No fast food

Write a letter every week

Watch a movie every week

I did really well for 2010. I stayed away from fast food all year and watched a movie every week. The gym became hard because of the shows I did and work and I simply forgot about letter writing. Here is my list for 2011:

Work out 5 times a week

No fast food AND no soda

Write a letter every week

So far so good on my resolutions. Changing it to read “work out” instead of “go to the gym” allows me to do my morning runs and have them count. The letter writing is going to be part of my Monday routine at work and the no fast food slides easily into no soda. The fast food one is still pretty hard. Especially when I’m driving home and all I want is a burrito because it’s fast and easy. But I know it is better for me and better for the environment to stay far away from both fast food and soda.

Here is my list of goals for 2011:

Down to 140lbs by July 1 and maintain till end of year

Pay off $12K of debt (if not more)

Repay Schwab account for massage school costs

Book a ship or Jubilee

ROCK my grad school auds in Feb and get accepted

Book 4 shows

Quit my job and find one that makes me happy

Edit my movie reel for submissions

Run 6 marathons

Get new headshots

Straight A’s in my spring SMC classes and wherever I go in the summer and fall

Write my lounge act

Organize and maintain my home desk

Write, finish and option 3 scripts

Get a pet (dog or cat)

Book 5 films (shorts, student, full length)

Buy a good car

Don’t get farther into debt

As you can see, my goal list is MUCH longer and harder to accomplish than my resolutions. Goals are the high points we reach for during the year. Some of the goals above are out of my control. But what IS in my control is my ability to be present at everything I do and do it to the best of my ability at that moment.

Just like this blog- the best of my ability at this moment. Go make your list. I know a lot of people don’t do resolutions, and I totally understand. But don’t let the year go by without having goals. One of the coolest things about marking the end of the year is being able to go back and see how many things you accomplished and how you spent your year. Don’t be someone who lets time go by without marking your successes.

Happy New Year and welcome to a better you in 2011!!

No comments: